7.12.09

Sant'Ambrogio, patron saint of Milan

I woke up late this morning and it was quite cloudy, hot and cloudy
I was thinking it would have been nice to spend the festivity with my family and friends at home, instead, I spent all the morning in front of my laptop writing down a sort of description of rules and duties of the camp. A small 5 pages pdf file where is described everything must be done in camp department by department.
I chose also the head of each department from kitchen staff to tent keepers to waiters and all the others, being so few there is a lot of overlapping, waiters are also tent keepers for example.
Should not be a big deal anyway being the camp quite small.
While writing I could overlook my birdbath and snapping some decent shot of waxbills and paradise flycatchers.
Ops I almost forgot, yesterday night I was reading again a novel, I heard a noise and I looked up and through the fly net of the roof window I saw a genet. The spotted beauty was walking exactly on the fly net and catching insects attracted by the light.
For the first time in my life I saw the paw’s pads of a genet walking, was weird, I felt like I was inside a branch with the genet walking over it….
Going back to today, lunch time was incredibly humid and some drops eventually came down so we decided to have a meeting and I discussed about the rules and duties with the guys, we made some change and we finalized the paper
Around five I went out for a small drive, I honestly did not expect to see much but I immediately got ellies, found a nice hornbill busy eating termites and a scared leopard tortoise.
The little thing had every reason to be scared, it was between the paws of a young lion.
It was so funny, every time the cub was loosing interest the tortoise tried to sneak away, as soon as it was happening the cub was gaining interest again and again holding it down. Eventually the cub went to drink and the tortoise did what I would have done, it run… at least as fast as it could.

After a while from the tall grass emerged other two cubs same age.
I guessed it was the same pride of the other day but no adult female on sight, the time passed fast and some half an hour later we ( the cubs and me) heard a contact call, the call that mothers use to localize the cubs.
Immediately the three siblings answered ( I didn’t ) and climbed the bank of the river to join the mother, here is the pride together again, one female and three cubs as the other day….. but today there was much more, one after the 3 more lioness came out of the bushes.
Not in a very good shape, very very thin but still healthy enough they went down in the river bed, half disappearing in the sedge and looking around, scanning to see if there was something to hunt.
They were still in the river when I started hearing a sort of Meeeeuw…. Meeeeeuw…. Meeeeeuw. I could not see the tree cubs but they were way to big to produce that sound and in fact out of the lush vegetation of the river bed came out 3 small small cubs, maybe 2 months old if so.

I was amazed but did not have time to relax even, fro behind the car came out another lioness, older and thinner then the others she walked past the car giving me a long yellow stare always capable to give you a little shiver down the spine.
She went to drink and moved on towards an open patch of sand, the rest of the pride started moving to reach her.
I was happy, ready to move when I had the last surprise, trailing behind one of the younger lioness two new cubs appeared, if possible even smaller then the other three. So cute ad curious, watching me and stumbling in the mud.
WOW WOW WOW
A superb Sant’ Ambrogio evening that brings peace in a man’s heart, at least for a while


No comments:

Post a Comment