30.12.09

Lions in camp..... havoc

5 guests for an early morning drive: mbagi, old airstrip, river drive, and bag on the mwagusi road. General game viewing was quite good and the light majestic.
Zebras fighting close to the road, nice birdlife, loads of giraffes and gooood lions.
In the river drive we spotted two adult females and four 6/7 months cubs, behind them in the grass there are more but we cannot see them properly.
The six though are just three meters from the road.
We watched them for almost one hour and then I asked my guest if they were ready to go. They were not and so we kept enjoying the sighting, other cars from other camps arrived slowly, in the end there were 5 cars, a bit too much for me but my 5 people still wanted to stay.
Suddenly the atmosphere changed. One lioness raised the head and started staring at something; warthogs were walking some 50 mtrs away in the open grassland, between the two of them and the lioness just my car and few bushes. the lioness all body tensed as she started stalking the pigs, she passed walking stealthy half a meter in front of the car and trotted to the closest bush to the warthogs.
.
Unfortunately she lost decisive seconds thinking whether to give them a go or not and they went too far.
.
Eventually we moved just to see a male and a female lions only 3 km farther.
The afternoon drive was more a matter of great light then a matter of wildlife, but watching the sunset sitting on the ground in the open plain with a cold beer was worth every minute.
We also noticed a lot of broken pottery around the site, it must have been an old village.
The moon was almost full and the white storks were nicely perched, it was like they were posing for us.
.

Before dinner as doing some boring accounts when I heard zebras running through camp, I thought that could have been lions and went on doing my stuff.
I couldn’t finish though because I heard water splashing and people running and shouting.
The guys bringing hot water to the shower saw lions and did not think twice, the drop the buckets and run, run , run. I was not happy and told them straight what I was thinking.
Eventually I went to pick up guests my self and got the lions in front of the last tent.
Lions are normally fine but with the rains there is way too much cover and worst then that the lions I saw were the two one year old cubs of the mbagi pride.
The rest of the pride was not in sight so I did not know where they were an had to walk back very cautiously.
At dinner time we heard again zebras running and I think from the sounds that lions grabbed one and then lost it.

No comments:

Post a Comment