5.12.09

Green Light

Woke up at 530 am to bring Rashidi to get a lift home, left camp around six, the sun rising, the light coming warmer.
The baobabs on the hills, with all the woodlands in the background framed our trip towards Msembe.




After dropping Rashidi I went on towards the river drive, light still great, no super sightings overall but ellies are definitely increasing in numbers. Birdlife is definitely good.
I got a very nervous breeding herd of elephants some ten meters off the road, I switched off the engine 10 mtrs before them and softly rolled down, watched them for 5 minutes letting them go a bit farther.
When I switched on the car to leave the sighting the matriarch started charging so I switched off again and tried to calm her down talking a bit. She relaxed and start walking again, when she was 20 mtrs from the car, maybe more I moved and as soon as she heard the noise of thengine she charged full speed, I was already going so I kept doing so…… she run after the car for at least 200 mtrs.
I did not know if to laugh or to be scared, I definitely think she loved chasing me around, it probably made her day.
"Highlight" of the morning for me was a lovely dikdik , kept staring at me from few meters away looking as I was a rare one.



Had another small drive in the afternoon together with part of the staff, they wanted to learn some birds and other things so when guests ask them in camp they will be able to answer. Again no clouds in the sky but plenty elephants on the ground.
Ah... black faced waxbills, African paradise flycatcher and Golden breasted bunting came to drink at my birdbath close to the tent, I took pics of 2 out of 3

No comments:

Post a Comment