1.7.10

Two lions a dead leopard and an alive one 30/06/10

Little morning drive towards the airstrip and then back to camp. Nice ellies as usual.
I drove to mdonya in the afternoon to see my old researchers friends, Jan and Roger, and obviously Mic.
On the way I got two lions, male and female near kimila and some 150 mtrs far a dead leopard by the side of the road. A young male, getting into his prime. Other cars arrived and they all agreed the 2 lions killed the leopard. Even if there is saliva on the coat of the spotted cat I am not sure about this version, there is no blood on the carcass, every possibility is open and I cannot rule a car out as the cause of the leopard's death.
Best spot of the day? two stunning chicks of black faced sand grouse, the parents flew 150 mtrs away on the straight road and the little things froze in the middle of the road, I had another car following me so being afraid they would drive over the well camouflaged chics I decided to move them.
I went to them and they still did not move, I lifted them one by one with two sticks and they still did not move, I put them down by the side of the road and they still did not move.... I understand that this stillness is their only mean of defense but still was weird.
It was good to see from far through the side mirror the other car passing by without smashing them and the parents flying back there as i drove past them.
Big male leopard walked 30 mtrs from the table at dinner.. that's life!!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment