23.6.10

Hyena's Den

Same people of yesterday, same timing, just opposite direction.
The morning started well with an awsome sunrise with the big red ball climbing up behind roosting hooded vultures. We went on even better with oxpeckers on giraffes, many birds and we even found an hyena den with three adult and one cub.
We watched the adults slowly walking in the bush towards a probable hunt.
.
.
The river drive was definitely not the place where lions were hiding but we still spent long time there taking picture of birds like the stunning little bee eater.
Close to camp we found many ellies, mostly breeding herds but one group attracted my attention, 7 bulls together and one of them very very big. I was surprised, we rarely see bulls together but we soon understood why. The big bull could easily shake the doum palms, the others could easily enjoy a free meal based on palm fruits. We also spotted a pair of lesser kudus.
A good morning even without cats.
Me and my dad spent sometimes casting lion's tracks with gypsum powder before the afternoon drive... drive that was smooth and nice also because my english guest was such a nature lover that I could explain about everything and he would listen to everything and enjoy the bush entirely...and I love it
We spotted 2 giant eagle owls ( this means three owls in my father's life) and then stopped for sundowner.
The wine was great because we could watch elephants few meters away trough the glass... a pearl spotted owlet also joined the party ( that means 4 owls in my father's life).
On the way back we appreciated how man spiders there are in the bush with the help of my torch and their shining eyes.
.

1 comment: