27.7.11

Leopard for dinner 25/07/11

The day started at 3 am.. again the lions in camp, now I woke up with
Todi, the store keeper calling me and asking for help. The lions were
pulling the ropes of his tent.
I had nothing else to do then take my courage and walk out of the tent,
torch in one hand, pepper spray in the other. I started making noise
and shouting at the cats but man they were 12. They left Todi' s tent
and came to investigate. Three of them arrived 6 metres from me, I
shouted at them again and 2 of them veered off. They and the others went
laying 20 metres from my tent but one lioness was still curious and came
closer so I switch on the torch so she could see me and made noise
again before retreating to my tent. She retreated the opposite way and
all was fine.
The day was fun, me and Festo with super nice guests, a couple of
honeymooners and an american girl, we had plenty of ellies. Big bulls
and small calves made our morning.
The afternoon was fine I brought the american girl to mdonya and came
back to have dinner with the honeymooners.
The surprise had yet to come.
While we were served the starters we herd commotion amongst the tent
attendants, they told me that there were lions in front of tent number
6, so I went to investigate. Maaaaan,it was not a lion but a wonderful
young leopard. I sent Richard, the head tent attendant back to fetch
the guests and Festo while I stayed with the cat. The spotted one was
sitting in the grass 7 metres from me, unphazed.
As everybody arrived we enjoyed the leopard in the beam of my torch
walking in the combretum and then going back on the path behind us. We
slowly followed as he walked and stopped to watch some alarmed jackals
and then proceeded almost all the way to the table before disappearing
in the bush towards my tent.
Man, man, man!!!  It was fantastic, moving without a single noise, its
coat shining in the night, its eyes gazing in our direction every now
and then, a flow of emotions. We all felt blessed by what we were
living in that magic moment.
It was amazing, we stayed and then walked with it at close quarters,
we admired it for no less then a quarter of an hour. Pure awsomeness
again.




No comments:

Post a Comment