27.7.11

About lions and hammocks 23/07/11

Something is making a weird noise out of my tent, I don't care, it is
three in the night. I can hear something jumping and wrestling, I
still do not want to care, I want to sleep. But I am also very curious
and in the end I get up. Lions are everywhere around my tent, I see
some of them playing in front of the tent in the moonlight. Beautiful
but still it does not explain the noise I heard. I look right and I
see a lioness launching herself on something. Man-O-Man... it is my
beloved hammock. Now I tolerate everything but they should not touch
my hammock.
So what's the plan now..... shooting with the .458 is a bit too much,
leaving the hammock to its destiny not an option so I went for plan C.
Took a bucket of water, walked out of the tent and threw the water on
the lions, they jumped back but one came again for the hammock so I
had to throw the bucket itself. That worked because the lion took it
and walked away.
I was satisfied now, but there started the probems of Festo, lions
went to his tent and started pulling the ropes holding it up , they
were even leaning on the side of the tent so my friend had to give a
couple of punches through the canvas but eventually they left.
Fiuuuuu.... back to sleep.
We woke up in the morning to find that the nasty cats cut 5 of the
ropes holding up the shade net of the lounge, crazy beasts.
The game drive still with Stefano and his family was great. Lionesses
walking in the early light all the open plains at the old airstrip, we
basically walked with them almost down to the river.
Then Owen called me saying that he had four males on the west side of
the same area so I went to see and to my surprise we admired the fab
four again after loong time.
The 4 cats moved all the way towards kimilamatonge before disappearing
into the thick combretum. Welcome back boys!
Good buffs with lions close by at w7 in the evening.










No comments:

Post a Comment