6.1.10

Insects

Insects are amazing, pure geometry with stunning colors and shapes.

Mic and me we spent just half an hour looking for them in the tall grass and the results were fabulous.

A funny stalk-eye flies with the strange reddish eye at the edge of a long stalk, a hungry black and green caterpillar busy feeding (actually there were hundreds of there where we looked as well as in all the park), a tiny grasshopper so tiny to be able to stay on a grass leaf blade as if it was an entire highway.






























And again a leaf beetle (Plagiodera caffra) with its metallic color and what we think is their pupa attached on the under surface of the leaves with a pattern that makes them looking like ghostly faces and a beautiful ladybird we couldn’t identify properly with its bright red coloration and elegant black lines running on the elitras.






























All of this in just ten minutes… everyday there is something new to marvel about.

While I was writing I heard black backed jackal frantic alarm call, I thought there were lions because they have been seen through camp this afternoon so I went out wrapped in my kikoi with the torch to have a look, didn’t see the lions but as soon as I got my feet on the verandah a leopard started calling with its raucous voice not farther then 15 mtrs from me, I shone the torch in its direction but the grass is way to tall..

Even with no sight of him I am delighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment