27.10.12

Giovanni 17/06/12

 The air is crisp the sky still dark, Mars and Venus look at usa s we start the drive.
Is me and Festo like many other days, but this one is a day that does not have equals and never will.
We spotted easy lions, Grumpy and Brother walking in the open grassland the other side of Lulenga juu. The sun is jus rising over the horizon, the light gettino better by the minute. They are walking and then sitting and walking again shoulder to shoulder strenghtening a bond that is there since they were born.
Grumpy never changes, always has that mean challeging look on him but Brother is sweet.
Not far there are also the three big cubs, more or less one year old. The lay in the golden grass, few meters from us.
We drove away. The road was full of their spoors, after a km a stopped the car and went for a pee, climbed back the car and drove off towards mawe ya fisi. We did non find game in the way so we arrived there pretty fast, bush hyraxes were plenty but what drew my attention was a small, super small one, peering at us from the top of a big boulder.
But something was wrong, there was a terrible smell coming from very close, I moved the car some meters just to find that the stench was still there. Upon closer inspection the problem was revealed, when i stopped and got out of the car bifore I stepped ove a pile of  fresh lion’s scat with one foot.
Horrible!
As soon as i realized it I moved off and stopped a hndred meters further under a big baobab, went behind the car and starter cleaning my shoe. I was there with a shoe in my end and a stick in the other, busy cleaning when I received a phone call.
Manu called me from home, my sister Chiara was resting in an hospital room and he was looking for the first time at his first born, my nephew, Giovanni.
Tears had to be pushed back, it was difficult and even more difficult was to keep concentration for the rest of the drive…..
All the rest of the day is blurred by too many emotions..








Happyness

No comments:

Post a Comment